Unpredictable delay triggering audio cues

Psync

Unpredictable delay triggering audio cues

Postby Psync » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:38 am

Hi there,

I've been demoing LP2, almost ready to buy, but I still have some questions regarding things I stumbled upon:

I've been alternately using a drumpad and a midi controller to "fire next cue" in a list. However, when trying to trigger successive audio cues (in this case 120 bpm drumloops), I've found that there was a delay in triggering these audio cues, forcing the band to pause (ever so shortly, but still) and resume playing. That delay even seemed random, most of the time fairly short (yet still annoying in a 120 bpm context), but sometimes as long as half a second.

Whether there were any additional cues (bypass switching, effect plugin snapshots, etc.) in the cue group or not, did not matter for the length of the delay.

I've been testing the midi controller by having it trigger a sampler in LP2 directly, but that did not cause any delay.

Is the cue list causing delay? Did I do something wrong? Should I be using a different method to trigger loops in time?

I am looking forward to any constructive answer, as LP2 seems THE tool for the new live electronics route of our band.

Kind regards,

Psync
nikolai

Re: Unpredictable delay triggering audio cues

Postby nikolai » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi
Yes, you have struck upon a limitation in the cue lists.
The playback is not designed to be as precise as, say, a sampler.
First, audio files are not pre-loaded (like in a sampler or looper) once you hit play, it has to be loaded from disk. And also the cue list has a precision of 50 ms, that means it can take 0-50 ms for the command to fire.
This was seen as acceptable response time for changing effects or starting a simple sound, like an announcement or click track. For firing samples (or loops) on time it won't be precise enough, and you would be better of doing it in a plugin, like NI Battery or such.
Nikolai Bergstrøm
Psync

Re: Unpredictable delay triggering audio cues

Postby Psync » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Nikolai,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I understand its limitations now. As you suggested, I have been experimenting with a sampler in LP2 (in this case the free TX16Wx).

The thing is, I would like to be able to trigger consecutive cues (mainly snapshot changes and bypass states) AND audio loops with just ONE single pad on a midi drumpad, keeping the rest of the pads free for one-shot samples (for improvisations) or other commands.
I experimented with having the cue list send midi notes to synths and samplers, but that did not work as expected. The plugin's midi icon shows midi activity, however there's no note triggered. Further, the virtual keyboard of TX16Wx doesn't show a key being pressed (whereas, using the midi controller directly to trigger a note DOES show a key pressed). Is that a bug?

And is there any chance that the timing resolution of the cue-list will be sped up?

Kind regards,

Psync

Return to “LiveProfessor 2”