VST Change, Plugin- and Global Snapshots

dukimusic

VST Change, Plugin- and Global Snapshots

Postby dukimusic » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm

I want to change the whole VST Plugin (Instrument/Effect) by Snapshots. This would be very useful for live playing!!
Actually with 2.1.3 it is only possible to change a parameter of an VST Instrument by using Plugin Snapshots. Is that right?

Much more nicer would be, if I even could change Programms or even the whole VST Plugin by a programm change made by an USB oder Midi Keyboard!

I tried to do that with Global Snapshot but without effort. Global Snapshots do not support changeing VST Instruments yet. Is that right?
nikolai

Re: VST Change, Plugin- and Global Snapshots

Postby nikolai » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 am

Hi
I understand what you want to do, but unfortunately, in practice this is not a very good solution.
We had this working in a early beta version, but it caused a lot of problems for some users (and lot's of support emails for me)
The thing is that many plugins are not designed to be used this way. The people who make them will check if they load fine in a project in the major DAWs and then be happy.
It is different when you need to load the plugin dynamically during a live event. it is just not safe.
In addition it creates all sorts of complex scenarios; number of inputs and outputs may change, so the audio patch changes. Snapshots are no longer compatible between plugins. It can take lots of time to load samples for some instruments, ususally copy protection and license systems get triggered.
All experience says that it is far better to preload everything, and then just switch sounds/effects by programming.
You can do it by programming, midi routing or audio routing, or bypass/on/off, or MIDI mute. or by changing the sound of a plugin either using global or plugin snapshots.
I hope this explains why this feature is missing.
Regards
Nikolai Bergstrøm
dukimusic

Postby dukimusic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank You Nikolai :-)

Is there a possibility to change Plugin Snapshots with programm change message by external USB or Midi Keyboards?

If I try to programm that with Cue Lists I find the CUE "Change Midi Routing" and "Snapshot Cue"
but I do not know, how to do. Can you explain? Or is there another way to change the presets by external Keyboards with Live Professor?
nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am

Hi
Yes, add the snapshots to the cue list (this way you can recall many plugins with the same midi command)
Then add midi triggers to the cues using program change messages:
See this video:
http://audiostrom.com/?epkb_post_type_1 ... using-midi
dukimusic

Postby dukimusic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Thank You - this worked for me very well.
I now can use live f.e. my Novation Minipad Controller to change programms of the individual VST Instruments with Snapshots for Presets which are controlled by Cue Lists controlled over Midi with LauchPadMini.

Return to “LiveProfessor 2”