Bypass vs processing

ryan

Bypass vs processing

Postby ryan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm not noticing much of a difference in the DSP meter between bypassing a plugin vs disabling processing.

Can you explain how LP2 handles bypassing? I prefer to use bypass because disabling processing often produces an audible click. But I'm looking for the best way to manage my cpu load.
nikolai

Re: Bypass vs processing

Postby nikolai » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 am

Hi
When bypassing, the audio input is sent to the plugin and the plugin is told to process it. But when the output of that plugin is generated we pass inn the input signal instead of the result of the plugin. This way the signal is "ready" whenever you turn off bypass

When disabling the plugin, it is the same as above but with out doing the processing. this way you could save some CPU depending on the plugin, but it will not have a signal ready for you when you turn it on
ryan

Postby ryan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm

So disabling just blocks audio input to the plugin? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but this leaves me wondering:

When disabling,I should expect to see CPU savings on fx plugins (reverb etc.) that have audio inputs, but NOT necessarily in a soft synth that has no input?

Would turning off midi routing to a synth be just as good as disabling it?
nikolai

Postby nikolai » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 am

ryan wrote:So disabling just blocks audio input to the plugin? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but this leaves me wondering:

When disabling,I should expect to see CPU savings on fx plugins (reverb etc.) that have audio inputs, but NOT necessarily in a soft synth that has no input?

Would turning off midi routing to a synth be just as good as disabling it?

Bypassing lets the plugin process as normal but you hear the unprocessed signal. (plugin still working in the background)
Enabled/Disable the plugin does not process, so CPU could be saved. It depends on the plugin. most of the time you will only notice it if you have many plugins. routing or midi does not affect this, although a plugin with no outputs connected will be ignored by the internal "mixer" so it will save some overhead.
You are really pushing the system though if you need to optimize to that extent
ryan

Postby ryan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks!

Return to “LiveProfessor 2”